Pouncing Coyote

Pouncing Coyote
Coyote pouncing on prey at Fermilab, in Batavia Illinois.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Owl Be Back!

The woods surrounding me had been silent for most of the time. The only things seen and heard up to this point were a Yellow-Rumped Warbler, a Northern Cardinal, a Dark-Eyed Junco and a flyover Cooper's Hawk. The howling winds just outside of the woods could not seem to touch me inside the stiff barricade of trees surrounding me in every direction. This was a welcome change from being out in the open. Black-Capped Chickadees sounded off in every direction, an American Goldfinch landed above my head and sang a very pretty little melody before taking off. A Hairy Woodpecker then made its presence known as it flew by, and American Robins flew over occasionally, making me wish that I could believe once again as I used to, that Spring came with the arrival of the Robin. Finally, in a tree, some movement. Directly above me some quick movements capture my attention! False alarm, a pair of Mourning Doves watched me as I made my way through a narrow path. Once again some excitement, as a ball of feathers sitting in a pine gives me hope of a Northern Saw-Whet Owl! Alas, with a better angle, it is only the puffed-up breast of yet another Mourning Dove. Darn! Lots going on in this patch, but one thing still missing. No Long-Eared Owls to be found. Over an hour of searching, and nothing to show for it.

Disappointed with that turnout, it was time to move on, and I, along with my partner in crime, my mom, made way to a new spot for us. This place, Hannaford Woods Forest Preserve, where a birding friend of mine had recent success of finding a Red-Headed Woodpecker, something I really wanted to get out of the way early on. It did not take long before stumbling upon a woodpecker, with a lot of red on it! However, it was a Red-Bellied Woodpecker, but one of the reddest ones I have ever seen!

Red-Bellied Woodpecker


The search continues, and Dark-Eyed Juncos were scattering throughout the woods, vocal yet invisible. Going down the path further, another Red-Bellied Woodpecker showed up, but further still, a mysterious knocking. I scanned the trees in the area of the origin of the sound, and quickly found a black and white and red surprise, success! Red-Headed Woodpecker, one of my favorites! I had bagged a Northern Harrier for species #54 this past Friday, so this woodpecker was species #55!

Red-Headed Woodpecker

Red-Headed Woodpecker

Red-Headed Woodpecker

Red-Headed Woodpecker

We watched it for a while, then turned to leave. Going down the path a familiar high-pitched call came from the treetops ahead. Not long after, a flock of Cedar Waxwings flushed up and took off overhead (#56)! I had heard them several times before this year, but decided not to count them as I had only heard them, and not seen them. Feels good to finally get that one over with!

We finally made it back to the truck, and my mom this time had a request of a place she would like to visit. So, we headed in the direction of Fabyan Forest Preserve, where I hoped that the Japanese Garden pines would attract my first Red-Breasted Nuthatch or Golden-Crowned Kinglet for the year. When we arrived, there was no hope already for any water birds. A very small strip of water was still unfrozen, but only a female Common Merganser could be found in this stretch of water (besides the Mallards and Canada Geese that are always present). The Japanese Gardens were not empty, but the Brown Creepers that were seemingly everywhere, were nothing new to me this year. A Red-Tailed Hawk decided to stop over and hunt here for a while, and gave great looks while doing so. Then I heard it, the potential of another year bird. A Northern Flicker was calling from the woods. I gave chase!

Scanning everywhere for the suddenly silent Flicker, I came up with nothing. This was very possibly due to the still present Red-Tailed Hawk. Keeping my eyes to the trees, I spied something that stopped me in my tracks! I whispered over to my mom "come here, but be quiet and don't make any sudden moves". She does just this, and follows my gaze and directions to find it herself.

Great-Horned Owl

The owl was not flighty as they usually are, but I didn't want to take any chances. I made no noise, and moved slowly as I searched for a better angle to photograph it from. Here, I think I found one.

Great-Horned Owl

However, it turns out that this was a SECOND Great-Horned Owl that I spied from this different angle. So I made my way back over to the previous angle to snag one more shot of the first owl, which was probably the female judging by the size.

Great-Horned Owl

Not the owl I was looking for, but then again, I wasn't looking for an owl! This is where it sank in. "Darn, let that Flicker go too." Not a big deal, I'm sure I'll find one before too long.

At sunset, we ended up at the far north end of Nelson Lake, scouting out the potential for Short-Eared Owls. None showed, but I just might be back to check again. And that was that, another day in the books. With no luck today whatsoever with the owls I wanted, I know one thing for sure (please excuse this terrible pun), owl be back, soon!

Brendon Lake

Kane County Big Year- 56 species
Illinois- 56 Species

No comments:

Post a Comment